Light Wave Measuring
LED Light Wave Measurement, Wave Fast Fourier Transform Measurement, Light Source Wave Intensity Measurement
Suspicions about the adverse effects from flicker (visible and non-visible) have been around ever since fluorescent lighting was incorporated into the work place (around the 1950s). The effects of flicker have been well studied and include, but are not limited to, headaches, mi¬graines, eye strain, fatigue, and even epileptic seizures. Even if flicker cannot be visually seen, flickering light can still enter through your eyes, reaching our retinas, traveling the neural circuitry to your central nervous system (brain), where they pound your senses, potentially wreaking havoc. In short, flicker can present a silent, most times invisible and insidious problem.
Not everyone is susceptible to light flicker, and it’s hard to quantify what percentage of the pop-ulation is actually light flicker sensitive. At best, we found a source that estimates 1 in 4000 (1) individuals suffer from photosensitive epi¬leptic seizures (light sensitive seizures). It is also hard to quantify exactly what levels of flicker exceed thresholds for safety and health. Our visual senses and central nervous systems are complex and vary from person to person. Differ¬ences in age, visual acuity and bodily chemistry vary greatly and exacerbate the problem even more. Ambient lighting from multiple sources also adds to the complexity of Flicker. Do multi-light environments reduce flicker, increase flicker or both? What level of flicker severity can be considered safe for such a diverse, fluid and multi-faceted environment? In short, it is an extremely difficult problem to get your arms around. This article is using MF250N Flicker Meter processing an actual Light Wave Measurement and according to IEEE recommended standard to estimate the risk of Flicker.
1 in 4000 Suffer from Photosensitive Epileptic SeizuresIf only 1 in 4000 individuals suffer from photosensitive epileptic seizures, which is a mere .025 percent of the population, why worry? First, are you willing to risk even a remote possibility of something as catastrophic as an epileptic seizure occurring on your premises, especially if it can be almost completely avoided. Second, aside from seizures, there are lots of gray areas of flicker induced health problems that are not clearly defined, although well documented and stud¬ied (headaches, migraines, autistic behavioral response, work fatigue). Third, it's not only the occasional headaches or migraines. Other studies claim that produc¬tivity increases 8%(2) in flicker free environments with general mood ratings (well being, happi¬ness levels) also increasing 33%. This should be a concern for companies for every day of the week and every working hour of the day.
Incandescent Light WaveLet’s say a word about the traditional incandescent lights, which certainly flicker, but for the most part are negligible. These lights have a filament which glows when it is heated with the flow of electricity. They usually will not have flicker issues because the heat and light from the filament lingers, like a simmering red hot iron, long past each peak and trough of a flicker cycle. The AC current still fluctuates through an Incandescent bulb, but the flicker is washed out by the long continuous burn of the filament. Below is the light wave for an incandescent light. Notice that there is still some flicker, but hardly noticeable because of the shallow difference between high and low intensities.
Fluorescent Light WaveWith fluorescent and LED bulbs, light is produced differently. There is no filament to burn – instead, light is produced by the phenomenon of jumping electrons (see UPRtek Survival Handbook on explanation) that turn off and on light almost instantaneously (fluorescent in milliseconds, LED in microseconds). Below is a light wave for a fluorescent light.
LED Light WaveBelow is a light wave for an LED light. Notice the sharp corners that drop off between high and low intensities, indicative of sudden on/off characteristic of LEDs (faster than Fluorescent). (Note that LEDs can be fitted with "drivers", covered later, that can quite drastically change the shape of the wave).
Light Wave Measurement CasesNow, here are some practical cases of several light sources in our life which is measured by MF250N Flicker Meter, let's see if the hidden Flicker is already a harm in your life. When you first examine a light with a flicker meter, one of the first things you can do is get a quick visual assessment by looking at the light wave. Following A light wave is more smooth than others, and it shows that A light is having lower changes to have Flicker than others.
Estimate the Risk of FlickerBesides the light wave measurement, according to the recommend by IEEE Std 1789- 2015, let’s estimate the risk of flicker. Below is a measurement result of a light:
Reference:(1) Photic- and pattern-induced seizures: a review for the Epilepsy Foundation of America Working Group.
- Related Products
MK350N Premium is a Spectrum Analyzer, LED Meter and Flicker Meter for LED manufacture. Embedded with spectral technology and optimize the LUX measuring range. Overall, the measuring result becomes more accurate which can be your best reliable helper.
MK350S Premium is a Handheld Spectrometer with Muli-Functions in itself. It's not only a Spectrometer, but also can be a Quantum PAR Meter, Blue light Detector and Oscilloscope. The strong and various functions can make users task quicker and efficiently.
UPRtek Compact MK350D is the pocket-Sized spectrometer in the world and released in 2014. It is only 70g and easy to carry. Measurement light units are more than 27, such as CCT, LUX, CRI, CIE1976 u, v’, CIE1931 x, y, Spectrum diagram, Percent Flicker and others. Until now, MK350D is standalone, the lightest Bluetooth smart control Handheld Spectrometer and Flicker Meter.
MF250N Handheld Spectral Flicker Meter-The 1st Handheld Flicker Meter with spectral technology. It is also a FFT Spectrum Analyzer, Light wave Meter and Frequency Analyzer. It provides 3 major metrics that lighting experts use to fight Flicker and ensure the light quality.
CV600 - All purpose Professional Cinematic and Photographic Light meter. It is not only a Light meter, but also a Color meter, Cine meter and Exposure meter a quicker, more efficient measurements for cinematographer, videographer, video makers, and film producers to capture every life moment!
- Files Download
Introduction on LED lighting flicker, potential health concerns and anti-flicker solution
MK350 Series Spectrometer basic optical know-how and case study
- Academic and Iindustrial Applications
- Lighting Industry Application
- LED Industry Application
- OLED Industry Application
- Spectrometer Application
- What’s the difference between Spectroradiometer and Colorimeter?
- How to use UPRtek handheld spectrometer MK350D for remote measurement?
- How to get the latest version firmware on my UPRtek spectrometer?
- How to use UPRtek handheld spectrometer for light measurement?
- How to use the computer to read the measurement data of the SD card in the handheld spectrometer?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N Flicker Meter?
- What kind of battery should I use for MK350 Series Sepectrometer?
- What does the abbreviation mean which is used on UPRtek spectrometer?
- Do I need to do dark calibration every time I turn on my spectrometer? And what is dark calibration?
- Does UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers have any international certification?
- Dose UPRtek handheld spectrometer has correlated color temperature (CCT) when measuring monochromatic light?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure UV or IR Spectrum?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the light that except LED light? Such as: fluorescent lamps (fluorescent lamps) ?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- How to download the uSpectrum PC Software?
- How to download the uFlicker PC Software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uSpectrum PC software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uFlicker PC software?
- Do I need to register before I use Wing WiFi card with UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- How to check saved data at uSpectrum PC software?
- How to make the test report by uSpectrum PC software?
- How to put my company logo on uSpectrum test report?
- How to use the Wing WiFi card for uSpectrum APP wireless measurement?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer will save the data on the same time when I process save data on smart device?
- Where can I find the saved spectrum / CIE images through uSpectrum APPs on smart device after using uSpectrum APPs and save the data?
- What is LED CRI (Color Rendering Index)?
- What is CQS (Color Quality Scale)?
- What is IES TM-30-15?
- What is TLA (Temporal Light Artifacts) ?
- What is Flicker Metrics (Percent Flicker, Flicker Index, SVM) ?
- What is Cosine Correction？
- What is the recommended measuring distance using UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- Product Q&A
Spectrometer Inspection and Analysis Software | Handheld Spectrometer Supplier - UPRtek
UPRtek, since 2010, is one of the prime handheld spectrometer manufacturers and their products are infused with a formula of practicality, mobility, green technology and intelligence. Our handheld spectrometer is lightweight and intuitively designed, users can operate the spectrometer without computers; measurement data can be displayed and viewed immediately on the spectrometer.
Handheld spectrometer's factory certification includes ISO9001 quality management system, and applying ISO14001 environmental management system and IECQ QC 080000 HSPM hazardous materials process management system. IES Progress Report and Red Dot award winning design, conforms to ISO14001, JIS, DIN and meets IECQ standards, UPRtek's handheld spectrometer total solutions are applicable to various industries such as spectrometer software, wireless card, LED meter, LED light tester and wireless card.
UPRtek has been offering customers high quality spectrometer | LED light tester that are infused with a formula of practicality, mobility, green technology and intelligence. Both with advanced technology and 10 years of experience, UPRtek ensures each customer's demands are met.