Light Wave Measuring
LED Light Wave Measurement, Wave Fast Fourier Transform Measurement, Light Source Wave Intensity Measurement
Suspicions about the adverse effects from flicker (visible and non-visible) have been around ever since fluorescent lighting was incorporated into the work place (around the 1950s). The effects of flicker have been well studied and include, but are not limited to, headaches, mi¬graines, eye strain, fatigue, and even epileptic seizures. Even if flicker cannot be visually seen, flickering light can still enter through your eyes, reaching our retinas, traveling the neural circuitry to your central nervous system (brain), where they pound your senses, potentially wreaking havoc. In short, flicker can present a silent, most times invisible and insidious problem.
Not everyone is susceptible to light flicker, and it’s hard to quantify what percentage of the pop-ulation is actually light flicker sensitive. At best, we found a source that estimates 1 in 4000 (1) individuals suffer from photosensitive epi¬leptic seizures (light sensitive seizures). It is also hard to quantify exactly what levels of flicker exceed thresholds for safety and health. Our visual senses and central nervous systems are complex and vary from person to person. Differ¬ences in age, visual acuity and bodily chemistry vary greatly and exacerbate the problem even more. Ambient lighting from multiple sources also adds to the complexity of Flicker. Do multi-light environments reduce flicker, increase flicker or both? What level of flicker severity can be considered safe for such a diverse, fluid and multi-faceted environment? In short, it is an extremely difficult problem to get your arms around.
If only 1 in 4000 individuals suffer from photosensitive epileptic seizures, which is a mere .025 percent of the population, why worry? First, are you willing to risk even a remote possibility of something as catastrophic as an epileptic seizure occurring on your premises, especially if it can be almost completely avoided. Second, aside from seizures, there are lots of gray areas of flicker induced health problems that are not clearly defined, although well documented and stud¬ied (headaches, migraines, autistic behavioral response, work fatigue). Third, it's not only the occasional headaches or migraines. Other studies claim that produc¬tivity increases 8%(2) in flicker free environments with general mood ratings (well being, happi¬ness levels) also increasing 33%. This should be a concern for companies for every day of the week and every working hour of the day.
Now, here are some practical cases of several light sources in our life, let's see if the hidden Flicker is already a harm in your life. When you first examine a light with a flicker meter, one of the first things you can do is get a quick visual assessment by looking at the light wave. Following A light wave is more smooth than others, and it shows that A light is having lower changes to have Flicker than others.
The design of the human body is complex, and the response to light will vary to each person. Therefore, where's the line for eye fatigue? Where's the line for epileptic seizures? Following is the recommend by IEEE Std 1789- 2015.
Above picture is a measurement resoult of a light:
1) Calculate Frequency * .08 (120 * .08 = 9.6)
2) Compare Percent Flicker (58.0) against the calculated number (9.6)
If your Percent Flicker is larger than the calculated number in #1 (and it is for us 58.0 > 9.6), you have a Flicker problem with your lights and you need to take action (replace or buy new).
But what if you just bought and installed 20 LED light bulbs and your calculations showed as below.
14 > 120 * .08 = 9.6
Our Percent Flicker (14) is over the 9.6 limit, but by only a mere than 5 percentage points, much bet-ter than the 50 point spread in the previous example. Do I change my bulbs? No one at this time can answer that question with absolute clarity - once you get over the limit you are entering gray areas. It's kind of like High Blood Pressure - the cutoff for high blood pressure is 140/90; but if your BP is 141/91, should you start taking medication? What if your BP is 139/89?
For most modern lighting environments, you probably will not see any noticeable flickering. However, just because you can't see flicker, doesn't mean that there isn't any flicker. UPRtek handheld spectrometer will help you see the invisible Flicker and guard your health. If you wish to learn more about Flicker, you are welcome to have further information from Flicker Handbook on our website.
(1) Photic- and pattern-induced seizures: a review for the Epilepsy Foundation of America Working Group.
(2) Luma Stream - LED Lighting and Workplace Productivity
- Related Products
MK350N Premium is a Spectrum Analyzer, LED Meter and Flicker Meter for LED manufacture. Embedded with spectral technology and optimize the LUX measuring range. Overall, the measuring result becomes more accurate which can be your best reliable helper.
UPRtek Compact MK350D is the pocket-Sized spectrometer in the world and released in 2014. It is only 70g and easy to carry. Measurement light units are more than 27, such as CCT, LUX, CRI, CIE1976 u, v’, CIE1931 x, y, Spectrum diagram, Percent Flicker and others. Until now, MK350D is standalone, the lightest Bluetooth smart control Handheld Spectrometer and Flicker Meter.
MF250N Handheld Spectral Flicker Meter-The 1st Handheld Flicker Meter with spectral technology. It is also a FFT Spectrum Analyzer, Light wave Meter and Frequency Analyzer. It provides 3 major metrics that lighting experts use to fight Flicker and ensure the light quality.
CV600 - All purpose Professional Cinematic and Photographic Light meter. It is not only a Light meter, but also a Color meter, Cine meter and Exposure meter a quicker, more efficient measurements for cinematographer, videographer, video makers, and film producers to capture every life moment!
- Files Download
- About Us
- Industry Category
- Measureent Case Study
Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Is there any international certification for UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- How to use the computer to read the measurement data of the SD card in the handheld spectrometer?
Product - uSpectrum SW
- How to download the uSpectrum PC Software?
- How to download the uFlicker PC Software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uSpectrum PC software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uFlicker PC software?
- How can I make the test report by uSpectrum PC software?
- Can I put my company logo on uSpectrum test report?
Product - Wing WiFi Card
- Do I need to register before I use Wing WiFi card with UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer will save the data on the same time when I process save data on smart device?
- After using uSpectrum APPs and save the data, where can I find the saved spectrum / CIE images through uSpectrum APPs on smart device?
Product - Measuring Light
- Dose UPRtek handheld spectrometer has coorected color temperature (CCT) when measuring monochromatic light?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the UV or IR Spectrum?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the light that except LED light? Such as: fluorescent lamps (fluorescent lamps) ?
- What is dark calibration? Do I need to do dark calibration every time I turn on my spectrometer?
- Knowledge - Artificial Light
- Knowledge - Light
- Knowledge - Color
- Knowledge - Tech Notes
- Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Contact Us
Spectrometer Software | Spectrometer Supplier - UPRtek
Based in Taiwan, UPRtek is one of the prime spectrometer manufacturers since 2010.
Award winning, conforms to ISO14001, JIS, DIN and meets IECQ standards, along with handheld spectrometer and smart controller, UPRtek has also developed products that are applicable to various industries such as spectrometer software, wireless card, LED meter, LED light tester and wireless card.
UPRtek has been offering customers high quality spectrometer | LED light tester that are infused with a formula of practicality, mobility, green technology and intelligence. Both with advanced technology and 8 years of experience, UPRtek ensures each customer's demands are met.