Surface Color Measuring
Surface Color Research, Surface Color Comparison, Color Consistency Check
In a room without any light source, can you see the color of the apple that someone just passed it to you? In this simple test, we realized that in the absence of light environment, human vision cannot play a role and has no ability to judge colors. That is "Without light there is no color".
Since there is no color when no light, then after having light, is there any problem of color identification? I believe you have had a similar experience about you buy a goods in red at the store but found that the color of the goods is not what you wished when you are home. This example tells us that different light source in different environment for human eye may receive different color from the object. So, is there any standard for color definition? Yes! Many designers they will use the color number to represent the standard red, bright red or wine red, these color code also helped the designer and the customer in the selection of color and avoided the disputes on color cognition.
UPRtek handheld spectrometer is being researched as a viable tool for measuring surface colors (as opposed to only light source) when UPRtek was collecting and writing this article in 2014. This has many ramifications in the market for standardizing and validating color matches for printed material, fabric color, component color uniformity, logo color compliance. This also has ramifications for studying Metamerism.
MetamerismWhen comparing two color patches under one light source, the colors may match - but when you try it with another light source, they fail to match. This is an optical phenomenon called metamerism. A more practical example is where you pick out a shirt and pants in a department store because they have matching colors but when you wear it outside under daylight, the colors do not match anymore. The MK350 may be able to analyze this phenomenon and come to understand how light spectrum and surface reflectivity cause these problems.
Research of Measuring Surface ColorMeasuring surface color varies widely with the source light. According to Professor MeiJun Lo of the Shih Hsin University (Taiwan), academic research is under way to determine if using spectrums from standard white baseline juxtaposed against a color patch can be mathematically combined to come up with a standardized color, in spite of the type of light source.
Peripheral Light Obscures Surface MeasurementMeasuring colors on a surface with an MK350 device as shown (below) will let too much peripheral light in. Because the MK350 performs Cosine Correction your results will show a spectrum closer to the dominant light source. Trying to block out the peripheral light by pressing the lens up against the surface will block out all light and will only produce results for black.
Accessory Lens Tunnel Blocks Peripheral LightUPRtek had researched to use an accessory device as shown below to block out peripheral light while capturing only the surface area in front. However, even with this procedure, you are still at the mercy of the source light colors.
Monitor the Brand ColorsBeing able to measure surface colors will help companies monitor their brand colors, especially in the outdoors, where sunlight is apt to oxidize paints/inks and fade colors over time. Many companies are especially cognizant of displaying true brand colors and will be quick to replace them when color degradation falls below standards.
uSpectrum PC Software - Spectrum AnalysisThe below color spectrum captured a white baseline swatch (blue line) and a red test swatch (yellow line) under an LED light using a test lens tunnel accessory of handheld spectrometer. You can use uSpectrum PC Software to process multiple colors analysis and comparison.
- Related Products
MK350S Premium is a Handheld Spectrometer with Muli-Functions in itself.It's not only a Spectrometer, but also can be a Quantum PAR Meter, and Oscilloscope.Especially we add the BLH Judgement feature in it which's the latest popular topic and requirement for the Lighting industry.The strong and various functions can make users task quicker and efficiently.
UPRtek Compact MK350D is the pocket-Sized spectrometer in the world and released in 2014. It is only 70g and easy to carry. Measurement light units are more than 27, such as CCT, LUX, CRI, CIE1976 u, v’, CIE1931 x, y, Spectrum diagram, Percent Flicker and others. Until now, MK350D is standalone, the lightest Bluetooth smart control Handheld Spectrometer and Flicker Meter.
MF250N Handheld Spectral Flicker Meter-The 1st Handheld Flicker Meter with spectral technology. It is also a FFT Spectrum Analyzer, Light wave Meter and Frequency Analyzer. It provides 3 major metrics that lighting experts use to fight Flicker and ensure the light quality.
CV600 - All purpose Professional Cinematic and Photographic Light meter. It is not only a Light meter, but also a Color meter, Cine meter and Exposure meter a quicker, more efficient measurements for cinematographer, videographer, video makers, and film producers to capture every life moment!
PG100N Handheld Spectral PAR meter is focused on achieving the demands of agricultural field. It shows its own advantages of measuring functions ,such as spectrum, PPFD and PFD so that users can utilize these parameters in the plant factories. Meanwhile, PG100N Spectral PAR Meter offers the analysis report for users to understand the ambient light requirement of plant growth, timely adjust the artificial light source to make sure the efficiency of the agricultural production, safty, achieve a scientific, intelligent agricultural environment.
Advanced MK350S the 1st handheld Spectrometer cross to muti-industrials. It had more than 40 light measurement units which are CCT, LUX, CRI, CIE1976, CIE1931,PPF, CQS, Duv, LambdaP, S/P ratio, TLCI, GAI... No matter for RD lighting designers, lighting manufactory and quality control, interior light designers, horticulture measurement, cinematographer and health prevention...and so on.MK350S is designed to meet the needs of all users.
- About Us
- Academic and Iindustrial Applications
- Lighting Industry Application
- LED Industry Application
- OLED Industry Application
- Spectrometer Application
- How to use UPRtek handheld spectrometer MK350D for remote measurement?
- How to get the latest version firmware on my UPRtek spectrometer?
- How to use UPRtek handheld spectrometer for light measurement?
- How to use the computer to read the measurement data of the SD card in the handheld spectrometer?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N Flicker Meter?
- What kind of battery should I use for MK350 Series Sepectrometer?
- What does the abbreviation mean which is used on UPRtek spectrometer?
- Do I need to do dark calibration every time I turn on my spectrometer? And what is dark calibration?
- Does UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers have any international certification?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure UV or IR Spectrum?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- How to download the uSpectrum PC Software?
- How to download the uFlicker PC Software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uSpectrum PC software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uFlicker PC software?
- Do I need to register before I use Wing WiFi card with UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- How to check saved data at uSpectrum PC software?
- How to make the test report by uSpectrum PC software?
- How to put my company logo on uSpectrum test report?
- How to use the Wing WiFi card for uSpectrum APP wireless measurement?
- What is LED CRI (Color Rendering Index)?
- What is CQS (Color Quality Scale)?
- What is IES TM-30-15?
- What is TLA (Temporal Light Artifacts) ?
- What is Flicker Metrics (Percent Flicker, Flicker Index, SVM) ?
- What is Cosine Correction？
- What is the recommended measuring distance using UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- Product Q&A
- Contact Us
Spectrometer Software | Spectrometer Supplier - UPRtek
Based in Taiwan, UPRtek is one of the prime spectrometer manufacturers since 2010.
Award winning, conforms to ISO14001, JIS, DIN and meets IECQ standards, along with handheld spectrometer and smart controller, UPRtek has also developed products that are applicable to various industries such as spectrometer software, wireless card, LED meter, LED light tester and wireless card.
UPRtek has been offering customers high quality spectrometer | LED light tester that are infused with a formula of practicality, mobility, green technology and intelligence. Both with advanced technology and 8 years of experience, UPRtek ensures each customer's demands are met.