Fluorescent lamps use what to make light?
Fluorescent Lights have been commercially available since the 1930s as long Fluorescent Tubes. A smaller bulb like CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) only became widely available in the 2000s. These lights use a mercury vapor (steam) inside the tube; electricity is applied within the tube, which causes the mercury vapor to emit UV light, or more accurately UV radiation. The UV radiation hits the inside surface of the tube which is coated with a phosphor material. The UV radiation causes the phosphor to glow.
Their advantage is that they are cooler and more energy efficient than Incandescent.
Their disadvantage is that Mercury is dangerous - if the bulb is broken, it can present a health hazard. Used bulb disposal is also problematic.
Fluorescence uses light (or electromagnetic radiation) to make light - it's related to phosphorescence (watches).
Arc Lamp - Fluorescent Lights are a type of Arc Lamp that produces light, typically through a non-conductive medium, like air. Lightning is similar, a type of natural Arc Lamp.
1. Electricity warms the tube.
2. Mercury turns to vapor.
3. Vapor is excited by further electricity and UV light is emitted.
4. UV light hits the inside surface of tube, which is coated with Phosphor material, which then glows (emits light) - i.e. Using light (UV light) to make visible light.
- About Us
- Case Study
- Application Videos
Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Is there any international certification for UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- Product - uSpectrum SW
- Product - Wing WiFi Card
- Product - Measuring Light
- Knowledge - Artificial Light
- Knowledge - Light
- Knowledge - Color
- Knowledge - Tech Notes
- Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Contact Us
UPRtek Fluorescent lamps use what to make light? Introduction
United Power Research Technology Corp. is Taiwan supplier and manufacturer in Optoelectronics Industry. UPRtek has been offering our customers high quality Spectrometer, Color Meter, Spectral PAR Meter, Spectral Color Meter, Spectrum, LED Meter, Spectradiometer, LED Measurement, LED light testing since 2010. With both advanced technology and 8 years experience, UPRtek always make sure to meet each customer's demand.