LED lamps use what to make light?
Early LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) were used mainly for small indicator lights for applications like display panels, they have been used in this way since the 1960s and they looked like the bulbs at the top of this page.
During the early 2000s, we began to see LED technology used for environment lighting as well (e.g. homes, offices, factories, schools) and LED bulbs began to look much like our traditional light bulbs. They even produced LED strips to look like Fluorescent Tubes.
LEDs use semiconductors. Yes, it's similar to the material used on processors for circuit boards. However, the materials used in LEDs are for the purpose of producing light. In addition to being cooler and more energy efficient (like Fluorescent Lighting), LEDs have an added value of lasting a VERY long time, in addition to being shatter/shock proof.
As you can see from the early LED lights, the semiconductor is a very small component. The semiconductor itself produces a bluish-white light and the lens/case changes the color to fit the application. More recent LEDs might appear as below, but the same semiconductor principles.
LED lights work when electricity is run through the semiconductor die, which makes it produce a bluish light. Notice the yellow layer on top of the semiconductor. It changes the semiconductor's bluish light to become more of a comfortable white light, sometimes this yellow layer is referred to as the Fluorescent layer or Phosphor layer. The LED may have a lens on top to redirect the light to obtain uniform overall intensity.
Phosphorescence vs. Fluorescence
Both use "light to make light". However, phosphorescent material does not immediately re-emit the radiation it absorbs.
Die or Diode - these words may sometimes be used in place of LED chip or semiconductor chip.
LED Package - this is the entire housing (i.e. package) for the LED.
- Related Products
MK350S Premium is a Handheld Spectrometer with Muli-Functions in itself. It's not only a Spectrometer, but also can be a Quantum PAR Meter, and Oscilloscope. Especially we add the BLH Judgement feature in it which's the latest popular topic and requirement for the Lighting industry. The strong and various functions can make users task quicker and efficiently.
CV600 - All purpose Professional Cinematic and Photographic Light meter. It is not only a Light meter, but also a Color meter, Cine meter and Exposure meter a quicker, more efficient measurements for cinematographer, videographer, video makers, and film producers to capture every life moment!
MK350N Premium is a Spectrum Analyzer, LED Meter and Flicker Meter for LED manufacture. Embedded with spectral technology and optimize the LUX measuring range. Overall, the measuring result becomes more accurate which can be your best reliable helper.
- Related FAQ
- Let's have an over view of the 3 common types of artificial light. The traditional Incandescent bulbs were first on the scene. Next, came the Fluorescent Lights and then LED Lights, both bringing advantages in bulb lifespan and energy savings. However, they are all three, still in use with their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Read MoreIncandescent lighting uses heat (thermal radiation) to produce light. Sunlight and Candle light are generated in this way. Incandescent Light Bulbs also generate heat (thermal radiation) through a "filament". The filament heats up to produce light like a candle. Read More
Fluorescent Lights have been commercially available since the 1930s as long Fluorescent Tubes. A smaller bulb like CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) only became widely available in the 2000s. These lights use a mercury vapor (steam) inside the tube; electricity is applied within the tube, which causes the mercury vapor to emit UV light, or more accurately UV radiation. The UV radiation hits the inside surface of the tube which is coated with a phosphor material. The UV radiation causes the phosphor to glow.Read More
Artificial Lighting Advantages & Disadvantages
Practically and economically speaking, LEDs seem to have a huge advantage and this is why most newly built facilities in developing countries are choosing LEDs for most of their environment lighting (e.g. factories, offices, libraries, museums).Read More
- About Us
- Industry Category
- Measureent Case Study
Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Is there any international certification for UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- How to use the computer to read the measurement data of the SD card in the handheld spectrometer?
Product - uSpectrum SW
- How to download the uSpectrum PC Software?
- How to download the uFlicker PC Software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uSpectrum PC software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uFlicker PC software?
- How can I make the test report by uSpectrum PC software?
- Can I put my company logo on uSpectrum test report?
Product - Wing WiFi Card
- Do I need to register before I use Wing WiFi card with UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer will save the data on the same time when I process save data on smart device?
- After using uSpectrum APPs and save the data, where can I find the saved spectrum / CIE images through uSpectrum APPs on smart device?
Product - Measuring Light
- Dose UPRtek handheld spectrometer has coorected color temperature (CCT) when measuring monochromatic light?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the UV or IR Spectrum?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the light that except LED light? Such as: fluorescent lamps (fluorescent lamps) ?
- What is dark calibration? Do I need to do dark calibration every time I turn on my spectrometer?
- Knowledge - Artificial Light
- Knowledge - Light
- Knowledge - Color
- Knowledge - Tech Notes
- Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Contact Us
UPRtek LED lamps use what to make light? Introduction
United Power Research Technology Corp. is Taiwan supplier and manufacturer in Optoelectronics Industry. UPRtek has been offering our customers high quality Spectrometer, Color Meter, Spectral PAR Meter, Spectral Color Meter, Spectrum, LED Meter, Spectradiometer, LED Measurement, LED light testing since 2010. With both advanced technology and 8 years experience, UPRtek always make sure to meet each customer's demand.