What is the advantages and disadvantages of artificial light and where is the market?
Artificial Lighting Advantages & Disadvantages
Practically and economically speaking, LEDs seem to have a huge advantage and this is why most newly built facilities in developing countries are choosing LEDs for most of their environment lighting (e.g. factories, offices, libraries, museums).
So why continue to buy Incandescent Lights?
For the consumer, it is the out-of-pocket expense that is a significant factor. A retail LED (as of this writing 1/2014) may cost $15 out-of-pocket but an Incandescent bulb may cost you only $3. Which would you buy? What if you had to replace 2 bulbs? ($30 vs $6).
The Incandescent light also comes as close to natural sunlight compared to the other two, and its light quality is close to Sunlight, which is the gold standard for light because, as evolutionary beings, our eyes have become accustomed to sunlight and the rich colors it produces.
Why people still use incandescent bulbs (USAtoday 12/27/2013)
So why continue to buy Fluorescent Lights?
Fluorescent Lights fall between Incandescent and LEDs. It lasts much longer than an Incandescent light, but it's cheaper than an LED light. It's ideal for places that are not assured a long term location (e.g. for a convenience store that is renting space, why would you buy a 50,000 hour LED light?).
The most troublesome aspect of incandescent lights is its indiscriminate use of energy. 90% of the energy used is dissipated as heat - only about 10% is released as light.
The fragile Fluorescent tube can easily shatter and presents a health hazard when the toxic Mercury liquid is exposed; clean up requires careful, meticulous removal procedures. Mercury exposure is known to cause neurological problems. Fluorescent Lights use UV light inside their tubes, but small amounts do escape - UV light is harmful to the eyes and skin. Fluorescent Lights have also been known to Flicker - studies indicate that long term exposure to light flicker is harmful to our eyes.
LEDs use semiconductors though you may think this type of technology is quite sophisticated, the actual production of the LED chip is not always an exact science - LED light quality can vary quite greatly between batches and each batch may be categorized and sold as different qualities of color and intensity. In fact, CPUs used in computers are also semiconductor based and have similar issues they cannot guarantee the same exact performance from batch to batch and measures must be taken to moderate performance expectations (e.g. over-clocking).
A changing world - What we know
- There are still lots of people who use incandescent lights (mostly in homes).
- There are still lots of Fluorescent Lights in public places (e.g. hospitals, offices etc.).
- Lighting designers are saying new facilities (factories, hospitals, libraries etc.) are most likely to install LEDs.
- Some existing facilities are changing out their lights completely for LEDs, already realizing the long term cost savings.
- Most developed countries are exercising phase-out plans for use of incandescent bulbs.
- The price of an LED bulb is dropping to the point that they will start to compete with CFLs for market share and eventually surpass them in a few years (maybe by 2015).
LEDs are on course to take over the world
G'bye to Incandescent
Countries exercising full, partial, planned bans of incandescent bulbs or exchange programs.
(According http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs as of this writing 02/2014)
Hello to LED
Estimated North American LED market to grow about 45% every year over the next 7-8 years.
- About Us
- Case Study
- Application Videos
Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Is there any international certification for UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- Product - uSpectrum SW
- Product - Wing WiFi Card
- Product - Measuring Light
- Knowledge - Artificial Light
- Knowledge - Light
- Knowledge - Color
- Knowledge - Tech Notes
- Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Contact Us
UPRtek What is the advantages and disadvantages of artificial light and where is the market? Introduction
United Power Research Technology Corp. is Taiwan supplier and manufacturer in Optoelectronics Industry. UPRtek has been offering our customers high quality Spectrometer, Color Meter, Spectral PAR Meter, Spectral Color Meter, Spectrum, LED Meter, Spectradiometer, LED Measurement, LED light testing since 2010. With both advanced technology and 8 years experience, UPRtek always make sure to meet each customer's demand.