Where does light come from?
Understanding the basics of what light is and where light comes from is the key to understanding LED lighting and UPRtek handheld spectrometers. However, we must first get our feet wet in the world of Science, particularly Physics and Chemistry. Here explains the lighting fundamentals in layman terms, in a straightforward, concise and practical way, without any MATH!
A little Science and Magic … The importance of understanding light.Before we begin, we must set some expectations. Physics and Chemistry are like Magic - there are things you will see that will amaze and confound you at the same time. So it's important to prepare yourself to turn your world upside-down and be ready for anything.
Atoms make light
What is an atom?Light comes from atoms, so we need to first understand what an atom is. Everything is made of atoms. The table, the wall, your cell phone, oxygen ... even you are made of atoms. Actually, an atom is so small that you can't really see one - but, when you combine them together, they become things, like water.
What is a molecule?Atoms in an object are usually arranged into groups of atoms called molecules. For example, if I take one Oxygen (O) atom and add two Hydrogen (O) atoms, I get an H2O molecule. These atoms are attracted together by forces (electrostatic forces). Many molecules form an object - sometimes these molecules are loosely held together like water, or sometimes they are tightly held together like metals. It all depends on the molecular structure.
Molecules determines, like DNA determinesYour DNA determines your physical characteristics; your gender; how tall, how heavy, the color of your hair. In a similar way, Molecular structure determines an object's characteristics; its color, its texture, its smell , its weight, ability to conduct electricity, melting temperature etc. Metal is solid, water is liquid - it's all because their molecular structures are different.
Let's take a closer look...Making light from an atom is an easy process. You just need a little imagination. Inside an atom, there is a large nucleus -then there is a small electron (s) that flies around the nucleus in a fixed orbit - you can think of it as the Sun (nucleus) with the smaller Earth (electron)orbiting it. When energy is thrust upon the atom, the electron flies out to a higher orbit. When it returns to its original (natural) orbit, light is emitted.
Making Light of Things
NucleusThe Nucleus of an atom contains neutrons and protons. Protons are positively charged, Electrons are negatively charged and Neutrons are neutral (no charge).
- Related Products
MK350S Premium is a Handheld Spectrometer with Muli-Functions in itself. It's not only a Spectrometer, but also can be a Quantum PAR Meter, and Oscilloscope. Especially we add the BLH Judgement feature in it which's the latest popular topic and requirement for the Lighting industry. The strong and various functions can make users task quicker and efficiently.
CV600 - All purpose Professional Cinematic and Photographic Light meter. It is not only a Light meter, but also a Color meter, Cine meter and Exposure meter a quicker, more efficient measurements for cinematographer, videographer, video makers, and film producers to capture every life moment!
MK350N Premium is a Spectrum Analyzer, LED Meter and Flicker Meter for LED manufacture. Embedded with spectral technology and optimize the LUX measuring range. Overall, the measuring result becomes more accurate which can be your best reliable helper.
- Related FAQ
- Inside an Incandescent bulb, electricity is used to heat up the Tungsten Filament. The electrons in the Tungsten Filament begin to jump out to a higher energy orbit for an instance and then drop back to its natural orbit, releasing light. (You can also refer “Making Light of Things” from the FAQ of Where does light come from? ) Read MoreAs we mentioned in artificial light FAQs, a Fluorescent Light makes light in two separate steps; electricity causes mercury vapor to emit UV light, the UV light strikes the Phosphor inner lining and causes the Phosphor to emit visible light. In both cases, the same mechanisms of Energy-Atom-Electron-Photon are in effect. Read MoreAs we saw on the previous FAQ“Where does light come from?”, electrons at higher orbits that drop back to lower orbits, release photons of light. In LED semiconductors, a similar strategy is at work. Electrons jump from higher energy states to lower energy states. Read More
- About Us
- Industry Category
- Measureent Case Study
Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Is there any international certification for UPRtek Handheld Spectrometers?
- What kind of battery should I use for MF250N?
- Why the SD card always stuck on the slot while in / out the slot?
- How long can I use UPRtek handheld spectrometer after battery had fully charged?
- Why my SD card cannot be used on UPRtek handheld spectromter?
- How to use the computer to read the measurement data of the SD card in the handheld spectrometer?
Product - uSpectrum SW
- How to download the uSpectrum PC Software?
- How to download the uFlicker PC Software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uSpectrum PC software?
- Is my handheld spectrometer compatible with uFlicker PC software?
- How can I make the test report by uSpectrum PC software?
- Can I put my company logo on uSpectrum test report?
Product - Wing WiFi Card
- Do I need to register before I use Wing WiFi card with UPRtek handheld spectrometer?
- Does UPRtek handheld spectrometer will save the data on the same time when I process save data on smart device?
- After using uSpectrum APPs and save the data, where can I find the saved spectrum / CIE images through uSpectrum APPs on smart device?
Product - Measuring Light
- Dose UPRtek handheld spectrometer has coorected color temperature (CCT) when measuring monochromatic light?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the UV or IR Spectrum?
- Could UPRtek handheld spectrometer measure the light that except LED light? Such as: fluorescent lamps (fluorescent lamps) ?
- What is dark calibration? Do I need to do dark calibration every time I turn on my spectrometer?
- Knowledge - Artificial Light
- Knowledge - Light
- Knowledge - Color
- Knowledge - Tech Notes
- Product - Handheld Spectrometer
- Contact Us
UPRtek Where does light come from? Introduction
United Power Research Technology Corp. is Taiwan supplier and manufacturer in Optoelectronics Industry. UPRtek has been offering our customers high quality Spectrometer, Color Meter, Spectral PAR Meter, Spectral Color Meter, Spectrum, LED Meter, Spectradiometer, LED Measurement, LED light testing since 2010. With both advanced technology and 8 years experience, UPRtek always make sure to meet each customer's demand.